Jim Barry is the Managing Director of Barry Group, one of the leading wholesale groups in Ireland. The company was founded in 1955 by Jim’s father, James A Barry. Since that point, the company has grown and developed at a rapid pace. Today it operates from a state of the art headquarters in Mallow where over 230 people are employed.
Under Jim’s leadership and vision, Barry Group has grown from a once local business to a leading wholesale distribution company. Trading both nationally and internationally and supplying over 1,000 customers; Barry Group supplies 265 franchises under the Costcutter, Carry Out Off Licence and Quik Pick symbols, as well as a large number of independent retailers and wholesalers based in Ireland.
Costcutter Ireland was launched by Barry Group in 2000 and since that time has established itself as one of the most respected retail groups in Ireland. With more than 120 locations nationwide, Costcutter Ireland is at the heart of communities across the country and is Proud to be Local!
To be a leading national player in the wholesale distribution market; growing through diversification and by placing the customer at the core of our business.
What we do
We deliver profitable solutions to our retail partners enabling them to compete with International operators. This is delivered through our Buying, Sales, and Marketing & Supply Chain infrastructure
The Buying Department’s aim is to both support and enable our Sales divisions to achieve both sales and margin targets while embracing our core Marketing and Category Management principles.
Sales are the touch point with our customers providing a two way communication for mutual benefit; we do everything in our power to ensure our customers receive an exceptional experience in quality, service and value.
Ensure that our logistics infrastructure and processes have the ability to meet and surpass the expectations of our customers while operating to best in class standards. We supply an end to end supply chain solution for your retail store or business.
The Marketing Department aims to provide innovative campaigns across all mediums. Our Marketing Department develop both local and national campaigns to ensure our retailer appeal to their target audience and our brands have a strong presence nationally.
We ensure that we have the systems in place to support the customer at every level relating to I.T. Achieve efficient and value added solutions to our symbol retailers. Develop projects that ensure our customers remain at the forefront of industry innovations. Ensure we have a strong relationship with our suppliers and as a consequence ensure a fluid pathway to and from all aspects of the company.
Barry Group History
- 1955 : Company founded by James A Barry
- 1995 : Launch of Quik Pick symbol group
- 1998 : 100,000 square foot Central Distribution Centre
- 1999: Checkout Cash & Carry of the Year
- 2000: Acquired Costcutter franchise
- 2001: Checkout Cash & Carry of the Year
- 2001: Stonehouse Depot of the Year
- 2002: Stonehouse Depot of the Year
- 2004: Stonehouse Depot of the Year
- 2005: Acquired Kilkenny Wholesale Business
- 2006: Stonehouse Depot of the Year
- 2007: Opened Company Bonded Warehouse
- 2008: Company rebranded from Barry’s of Mallow to Barry Group
- 2008: Stonehouse Depot of the Year
- 2009: Acquired the Carry Out off licence business
- 2009: Stonehouse Depot of the Year
- 2010: Completed warehouse extension to expand warehouse to 150,000 square feet
- 2010: Awarded Stonehouse Depot of the Year Gold Standard
- 2010: Listed as Deloitte Best Managed Company Award
- 2010: Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year finalist – Jim Barry
- 2010: Cork Chamber “Cork Company of the Year” finalist
- 2010: Cork Business Person of the Year – Jim Barry
- 2011: Ulster Bank “Business Achievers” Service Sector Award Munster
- 2011: Great Place to Work Award (14th) Living Ethics Award
- 2011: Deloitte Best Managed Company Award – Reaccreditation
- 2012: AwardedStonehouse Depot of the Year 2012
- 2012: Reaccredited as a Deloitte “Best Managed Companies” 2012
- 2013: Awarded a Deloitte Gold accreditation 2013
- 2013: Great Place to Work Best Workplace 2013
- 2014: Listed as a Deloitte Best Managed Companies Gold Standard
- 2015: Named as a Great Place to Work
- 2015: Jim Barry named ‘Most Trusted Leader’ at Great Place To Work Awards